Thursday, December 8, 2011

18th Century Stays

Finally, the stays. This is my second try at corestry, which, honestly, isn't nearly as hard as everyone makes it out to seem. I cut these stays and put them together in a day, no problem.  Really, the only issue that came out of them was binding them by hand, which, as it turns out, was also all in my head (see the title of this blog).

The pattern was J.P. Ryan's "18th Century Half-boned Stays for a Fashionable Shape". They fit with no alterations at all and were super easy to construct. The directions were very clear. I used a layer of striped silk, a layer of coutil, and it is lined with simple cotton muslin. They took me 7 months to make, but only because I was being stupid about binding them until Noelle showed me how easy it was. In real-time, it was more like 2 days.

I will totally admit that any matching of stripes was totally accidental - It just happened that way, I wasn't actually trying! There's some problems with them, mostly due to my own lack of perfection in sewing, but for my second attempt, I am pretty happy with how they turned out. They are totally wearable and surprisingly comfortable

Here's some photos for your viewing pleasure:

Robe a la Francaise

18th Century Stays

18th Century Stays

18th Century Stays

18th Century Stays

18th Century Stays

No comments:

Post a Comment