Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Dress of PAIN

Ok, I have re-committed to making this blog, and sewing more, work in my life. I often feel like my accomplishments are small and insignificant compared to the rest of the blogs that I read, so I don't post anything. Also, they are few and far between, and tend to drag on and on. However, I have been noticing that everyone does the latter, and as for the former, well, maybe there are people out there that might like to see what it is that I am doing that are more at my level. 

So here goes! My Voyage to see my doppelganger.

In the beginning of November, I set out to visit my pal, Other Noelle, for a week in Salt Lake. We had a mission: to sew. I had a list a mile long of what we *could* accomplish, and not a very realistic grasp of what was actually going to happen. I had ventured out that way in April to try and create an 18th century Robe à la Française, which we thought we would finish in 3.5 days on that trip.  Well, that didn't happen and I ported all the stuff back to Utah again this go round to finish it up.  We thought it would be another day or two, topps! HA! 4 days of sewing later, it is wearable, but not trimmed, and I just finished the stays a few days ago here in San Jose (More on those in a later post).  The outfit consisted of:

- Bloomers
- Stays
- Panniers
- Under Petticoat
- Over Petticoat
- Robe
- Stomacher

We are now finally the trimmings stage and I feel good about the outfit, so here's some pictures of the final fitting for you to see:

Robe a la Francaise
Me in my underwear (and pajama pants, sorry about that!)

Robe a la Francaise
Front

Robe a la Francaise
 Side

Robe a la Francaise
back

This was the dress of PAIN. Every possible place where something could go wrong, it did. Between the two of us, we pleated the back wrong, the sides did not fit at all and had to get cut down smaller, etc etc etc. Also, I had to learn to hand sew on this dress (never had to do that before now), and I made my second ever corset (stays) without much guidance, but my irrational fear of binding them made that project last forever. I'll do a detailed post on those sometime soon. I now have labels for this dress that read "This took forever." They look like this:



You can get your own here.

At least the worst is behind me and I can trim this out.  When I do, I will post on that. Next up will probably be a post about what we did with the other 3 days or a post about my stays, we'll see, but hopefully It will be soon.

Big-ups to my pal (who is also named) Noelle who fretted and slaved over my gown with me to make sure it was perfect (at times, she was even more obsessed with it than I was). She is the most awesome queen of awesomeness ever and I love her! Hopefully I will get to see her again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment