Monday, January 2, 2012

Hopefully a good sign

I am sadly down in Southern California right now, nursing my mom back to health from a surgery instead of spending New Year and My Birthday with my husband. However, I did have the presence of mind to put a bunch of stuff in my car that I might need should I decide that I want to sew, and low and behold, I did! I think this is a good sign for sewing this year as they say what you do on the first of the year sets the tone, etc... so here's my progress report for today. It's just some small stuff, but it took me a few hours because I was going slow and had to set everything up and locate my mom's iron and practice my blind hem again just to make sure I knew what I was doing (I did), and I probably over-pinned... Anyway!:

1) Noelle made me a chemise while I was in Utah last time but she left the hemming to me, so I did that.
2) I chopped down some boning, filed it, re-wrapped it, and stitched it into my 1870's polonaise. I have to say that while I am not a fast hand sewer, I am MUCH better than I used to be since binding my stays. My stitches are tiny and spaced well and hidden for the most part!
3) I reviewed what I need to get done still for my 1870's outfit and am ready to tackle more tomorrow.

Everything that is left on that bodice is trim (hand sewing), so that leaves a bustle cage, petticoat and skirt. Oh, a hat and bag maybe too. OH YEAH, I also have to finish my Victorian corset (just needs to be boned and bound) (I have the stuff here for that). I am secretly hoping to get this wearable to go to the Edwardian Ball in (which is a celebration of Edward Gorey, and to some extent the Edwardian era, which are not the same, and despite that most people dress in steampunk or slutty-Victorian-outlandish-San-Francisco-wear. I love it!). We'll see how I do.

I also have a kind of ambitious list of projects that I want to work on/finish this year, although I do not actually think I will complete my list. However, it's good to have aspirations!

I will hopefully soon do a detailed account of that for you all and also show my polonaise off a bit! Until then, Happy New Year and I hope 2012 brings you all wonderful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment