Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sad, sad corsetting

I had the best of intentions to get the corset cut out and the lacing strips made right away, but life intervened, as it is prone to do. I received a call last week that my grandfather was in hospital and in very serious condition. I made haste to southern California for 4 days of being at home and visiting and hoping and consoling, but the battle was lost. I will have to attend a funeral on Friday for someone I love very dearly, so costuming has been slow going as of late. I have been doing a little in the evenings for the last 2 days just to keep busy, and it does help a lot, but I'm not very efficient, and its more to keep me from focusing on being sad than anything.

I actually have the 1911 corset cut out and the lacing strips made, although I appear to have been drunk while I was grommeting and I have no idea why. The sewing was perfect, they looked wonderful. I marked holes exactly perfectly with my water soluble marker. I placed my awl right in the center of each of those holes and pushed through and set my grommet. There was nothing that could have gone wrong with those strips.  However, when all was said and done, I was apparently drunk (no actual alcohol was consumed). The grommets are all over the place. They are not in a straight line vertically and they even vary on the horizontal. I have no idea what happened. I have grommeted stays and a corset and even the bustle cage has grommets on the inside - they are all relatively straight, so I know that I am capable of it. It's a mystery to be forgotten in time I guess. I also had to cut the corset out twice as I forgot to add a seam allowance the first time.  Maybe I shouldn't be corseting right now. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment