Friday, June 29, 2012

Finishing touch


These past weeks have been crazy. My workplace was in overdrive on a project, my other workplace had extra work for me (always a good thing), I had projects that had deadlines for that were not costumes, and I had to plan for 7 different parties that I am throwing this summer with deadlines for ordering things, reservations, etc. Oh. And 2.5 costumes (one was mostly just loaning out finished pieces, thankfully).

Anyway, I'm done. Yay!

Here's some pics (it's not buttoned up or anything):

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Skirt mostly done

But I had an argument with both pocket seams today (French seamed), so had to rip them both out and start over. On top of that, I discovered a cutting error, but just spliced in some fabric and said "screw it". Hopefully it won't be super noticeable.

I hope I can finish it tomorrow so Thursday I can pack and be sane, but that seems really optimistic.

We'll see. I have a morale-ache right now.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Basque Vest is done!

I worked on it as much as I could this weekend, which was only a few hours, but it's finally done! I still have no idea if it fits! I'll have to find out tonight.

I also did all the closures, etc for Wendy's costume, so we're good to go there as well.

What is left?
Maybe some ears?

I have 4 evenings to try and make that happen. Hopefully it'll work out!

Monday, June 18, 2012

Wendy's costume was a hit!

We had a final try-on and Wendy seemed to like what I made for her do we've got a win there! I just need to do a couple things in order to completely be finished:
- sew together the elastic on the legs of her bloomers
- sew on the closure of her blue skirt.

These combined should take me about 30 minutes, but still...

My costume still has a long way to go :
Finish vest basque
Design and create skirt
Make a bustle?
I'd love to make ears
Test makeup
Figure out shoes, etc...

We'll see how far we get!

Costume progress

Today, between yard work and working on getting things more straightened and organized around the house, I worked on the Vest Basque jacket/bodice. I have the main part of the bodice sewn together, boned, and ironed out. I just have to do the sleeves and attach them, see the lining in and then make and attach the buttons. I re-taught myself how to make buttonholes today (my pal, Noelle had shown me when we worked on the polonaise, but she put them in, so this was my first real attempt on my own), and then put 11 of them in! They aren't perfect, but they are totally good enough for government work. Here's a picture of them as I was making them:

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Fabric is all cut and dyed!

Just an update! I'm gonna try to get this flat lined and maybe somewhat put together tonight, but we'll see!

Friday, June 15, 2012

I'm now dying my lining of my jacket

And then I'll start cutting my fabric!

Wendy's costume is done!!

I got the cute tule skirt done tonight, so with the exception of the closure on that and the elastic on her bloomer legs, she's all done!

Here's the skirt over the lit cage:

Today's tiny progress

Today I went to Joann to get all of the closures and elastic and bias binding I need to get these costumes done and then I came home after my evening's activities (a massage!) and sewed on the closures for the cage and light pouch.

I know, not much, but at least it was something! The weekend starts tomorrow, though, and my husband is on a photography workshop trip, so I'll be sewing up a storm!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My hiatus is over, now for panic sewing!

Craziness at work, combined with a pretty intense social schedule has kept me back from getting these Labrynth if Jareth costumes started, but I sewed last weekend and again tonight an I am making progress!

I made a bustle cage for Wendy, who tried it on and it looks great, and also a pair of bloomers. The cage needs a closure and the bloomers need some elastic around the legs, but I need Wendy to come over and try it on for me before I can do that. I also am about 1/2 way through sewing the lights to her cage, and hope to finish that tomorrow. So, for her, the list remaining is:

Closure for bustle cage structure
Sew lights on bustle cage
Over skirt
Bloomers elastic

I got my mockup finished for my jacket and I like the way it fits so I'm ready to cut and sew fashion fabric. My list is as follows:

Cut fashion fabric bodice
Sew fashion fabric bodice
Figure out how to sew buttonholes
Trim bodice
Cut skirt fabric
Sew skirt
Trim skirt

Thats right! It will be my first time making button holes!

I have all of this weekend and then the next 2 weeks to get this stuff done. It may or may not all happen, but I'm gonna try!

Oh, and I have to re-form my mad hatter hat for Nancy, but that won't take too long!

I'll post progress as I go!