Thursday, March 21, 2013

In Which I Declare Intent

Not much, actually. I have mostly been in planning stages of making the Myth Masque costume.  I have ordered fabric swatches so I can find out what I want to use (which take 8-9 days just to ship, UGH), and I have been considering construction decisions. I have a plan now and can start in the under-structure - hopefully that will start this weekend/next week.

What are we making, you ask?  A version of this beautiful Luly Yang Butterfly dress*:

Here it is in the runway:
It sits beautifully:
And here it is in a window:

I actually saw this dress in a window in Seattle, when we were on our Vancouver trip, and took a photo of it, but Sahrye was the one that wanted to make it.  She had the plan and I latched on to the idea of doing them, so I am going to choose a different butterfly wing to use. That way we will look like we belong together, but not be super match-y. Hair and make-up are anticipated to be pretty fun, but we haven't locked down on anything final yet.

So far, the group of people I have interviewed universally like this one:
Although, I tend to really like this one and can see this dress shorter and more poofey.  I like the abstractness of the pattern on this wing, which is also the reason that everyone says not to choose it, because it will not obviously read butterfly when people look it it:
I can see their point, so it will most likely be the first wing.  I am not totally sold on that gold tone against my skin, but we'll see.  I'm super Irish-looking, so I can see the green being good, but that isn't the primary color... I will know for sure when the samples get here.

Next up is to create the under structure for the dress so that I can attach the wings to the bottom and drape the top.I will post more when that gets under-way.  My mom is with us this weekend so I am not sure how much spare time I will have for that.

* I do want to caveat that I don't anticipate my dress looking anywhere as fantastic as this couture gown.  I think it will be an homage to it by someone who has never constructed anything without a pattern before (besides a tutu-like skirt), nor ever draped a stitch in her life. So, be warned, don't expect mine to be anywhere as awesome at that - this is more of a learning experience than anything, which will hopefully get me into a fun party!

No comments:

Post a Comment